Saturday, June 11, 2005

Buried Treasure

Buried Treasure…June 11, 2005

I am having the most fun today! Last night I went into the guest bedroom my mom has set up as "the girls room". She has some of our old dolls and stuffed animals in there, and has kept a lot of things from our childhood. I decided to go through some of our old story books, and went through the closet. I remembered when I was 8, my dad had given me a pair of pearl earrings because I had just gotten my ears peirced. Well I lost them somewhere in the midst of the doll clothes I was playing with. My mom was so angry with me that to this day that it is still engrained in my brain and I still have guilt for losing them. So today I decided to go on a quest for the pearl earrings. I got down the Barbie suitcase full of our old Barbie's and their clothes. I pulled out a shoe box that I found full of my old Strawberry Shortcake dolls and their clothes and by that time I was so excited by memories of these things I couldnt stop digging! By now the thought of finding those earrings was long gone and I was on a mission back to my childhood. It was amazing the things I found! Besides the Barbie trunk and Strawberry Shortcake doll box full of clothes and dolls, I found my old Cabbage Patch doll! She is an original, and I remember waiting in line for 2 hours at the toy store in 1983 just so I could pick her out myself! And, of course, she had to have red hair too! I even have the diaper bag full of clothes for her.

I found most of my collections, unicorns was a big one, I had a doll collection of dolls from around the world, I had a collection of coins and paper money from around the world, my rock collection was a huge deal, and one of the big ones was Stickers! I found three of my sticker books full of them.


And in the back of one of my sticker albums I found my napkin collection! Apparently I saved a napkin from every party I went to. Here is the funniest one from 1981:

I found the diaries I wrote in starting in 6th grade! These are truly hilarious to read now. One of them I had written in pencil when I was really little and apparently erased all the entries and started over when I was a bit older. The things I used to worry about back then...

There is one entry I thought was hillarious from 1988:

and then my very first kiss!

Yes, I wrote every day in a different colored pen...didnt you? I found a huge bulging folder full of every note anyone had passed to me in class from 1985 until I graduated high school, that was so fun to go back through and read. I had a shoe box full of letters and cards from my friends from when I went away to AZ for college. But my most favorite find was the collection of Garbage Pail Kids sticker-cards I found in a box of stuff. I have about 31 of them starting with the series 4 cards from 1986 #125b through #277a and they are so funny to look through. Here is my most fav:

Well, I think I am done with my little treasure hunt for the day. Sans a pair of pearl earrings, I think they are lost forever. Hmm...I wonder what is in that box over there?.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home