Saturday, November 26, 2005

Marvelous things

Marvelous things…November 28, 2005


What happened to Thanksgiving?

Alright, I have to admit it; I am one of those psycho people who have already decorated their houses for Christmas. BUT- I haven’t put up my tree yet, so that counts for something right? My neighbors probably hate me. It started with pure boredom yesterday. I decided to pull down my decorations and lights- box just to have it handy for whenever I decided to put them up. When I came to- my lights were up in all the windows, the decorations were up throughout my house and I was drooling on the couch in awe of the beauteous twinkle lights! oooo Sparklies! I think they call it post-Thanksgiving coma. I’m seriously fighting with my inner self not to go buy a tree today at lunch.

By the way, what the heck happened to Thanksgiving anyway? It seems that everyone decorates for Halloween, and then it immediately jumps to Christmas! Have we forgotten how important Thanksgiving actually is? Has it become politically incorrect to celebrate Thanksgiving with decorations anymore? Remember when we were little (by we I mean the thirty something’s out there) remember the stores used to hang fall leaves from the ceilings, and those big fold out turkeys, pumpkins were left out from Halloween and gourds and Indian corn were laid out next to them? Remember making a turkey out of your traced hand on a paper plate with paperclips for feet? Remember centerpiece cornucopias filled with maize and gourds and fall things? What happened to all that? Was there something I missed between elementary school and becoming an adult? Somewhere along the way Thanksgiving was lost. I however- had my house decorated for Thanksgiving this year...okay so the pumpkins were a tad shriveled by this weekend but they were pretty for a month!

Our family Thanksgiving was wonderful this year, as it always is. We were missing a couple people and we missed them, but we made it through. Mom and I cooked together and it worked out just perfectly with the timing of everything coming out of the oven at the same time. I love it when that happens! Mom wanted a pic with the un-cut turkey- something we have never seemed to do in years past. It is funny to think back on our family pictures- they are all exactly the same- us sitting at the table with our glasses up in the air, making a toast to the day. Ill have to get them all together one day, it would be funny to see the progression.


I talked to The Lummox a couple times this weekend. I miss him already. It is funny that we are finally together after all these years. And telling everyone we know has been a super fun experience. Everyone who knows us was really excited, and thanks for the nice comments from all of you out there who have written in to me. It is funny how it happened and the timing of being featured as a best of blog at the same time. We really shouted it to the world didn’t we Lummox? I know that was a sign from the universe shouting back at us - this is the way things are supposed to be. Connectedness- it’s a marvelous thing.

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•. jenni

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home