Tuesday, November 22, 2005

thankful

I have a lot to be thankful for.
Its now two days from Thanksgiving, where did the year go? Its amazing looking back now, that it has been a year already since I began writing here. It is really true and sorry for the cliché but Time Really does fly! I was talking to The Lummox yesterday about our lives, and how they have evolved over the last year. We compared our stories, and we both agreed; we are very happy with the outcome.

SO! In celebration of Thanksgiving, and in remembrance of all those school essays I used to hate writing back in the day, I give you- What I am most Thankful For- by Jenni.

I promise Ill try not to make you fall asleep.

I suppose I should start with my grandparents because, if not for the obvious, they raised my parents to be the spectacular people they are today. If it weren’t for my grandparents, my parents would not have passed on the same morals, values and beliefs that my sister and I grew up on. It was by fate that my parents first met in high school, and remain sweethearts to this day.

I am grateful that my father was a part of the United States Navy, because he taught my sister and I the accountability and dependability that are needed to be the responsible adults we are today. He brought the structure that is needed to build strong independent minds, and the bravery and trust we learned from his patriotism to this country. He put a roof over our heads, gave us a warm place to sleep, and there was always more than enough food to fill our plates. He taught us to give, to love, and to be unselfish. He taught us to respect others, no matter what. And to be thankful for everything that you’ve got, because a lot of people have nothing.

I am grateful that my mother was home for us as much as she was. I almost started to say she was a stay at home mom, and she was for many years, but she also worked as a teacher’s aid for children with special needs. She was selfless. If she hadn’t spent so much time with us, I don’t think my sister and I would have developed the love for family that we have today. She taught us to nurture, and at the same time how to take care of ourselves. She was a brave Navy wife. My father was away on cruise a lot during our upbringing, and she taught us how to be strong and protect each other during the days my father wasn’t there to watch over us. She is the glue that holds us all together, and she taught us to love everyone just as we ourselves want to be loved.

Mom and Dad are such awesome parents. Sarah and I are so lucky that we can say our parents are still married after all these years. Sadly, a lot of our friends growing up experienced the downfall of their family units, and many ended in divorce. There aren’t too many families out there that are not broken. I am proud to be a part of such a close knit family, with two parents who have loved each other through their personal hardships, and worked together through it instead of giving up. They really taught us how love is supposed to work. My parents have been married for 35 years- It’s something to brag about.

I’m so thankful they were able to give my sister and me the opportunity to continue our educations. I chose to go to Flagstaff, AZ and Sarah chose to go to Fairfax, VA but we never lost the closeness that my parents worked so hard to protect. In my time away from the family bubble, I learned how to be an independent person and learned how to take care of myself. I learned how to create new experiences, and learn from them. There were many of those...mostly it’s the mistake that I learned from...but that’s a whole other Oprah.

If I hadn’t have chosen to go Flagstaff I would have never met the circle of friends that I did, which eventually led to meeting my ex. I know, it’s a very strange thing to be thankful for, but it’s true. If I hadn’t have met him, I would have never gone to Colorado. If it weren’t for my ex I would have never learned how to stand up for myself, and be happy with who I am no matter what other people say. I met a lot of friends through him, most of who I am still close to and without them I would not have had the support system in place when I needed it most. He also bought me Cody, and I dont know what I would do without that dog, I love him so much. If I hadn’t have moved to Colorado I would have never gone to work for a friend of a friend. And mostly if I hadn’t have gone to work there, I would have never met The Lummox.

If it weren’t for my mother having her maternal instincts, I would have never left my ex. If she hadn’t called me that day in tears I would have never moved from Denver to Austin to get away from the awful situation I was in-bad relationship, bad job situation. I am so thankful for the love and support of my parents to welcome me back into their home 12 years after I moved away to college, for as long as it took for me to get back on my feet- and they were patient with me. I am so grateful that I quit my job, packed up and left. If I hadn’t, I really believe that I would still be in that same horrible situation- with the ex still probably, still disillusioned about his lies, still stuck in a rut, with the relationship still on hold because of HIS life.

If I were still there, I would have never had a year off to find myself. I gained my independence and grew stronger than I have ever been. I gained a ton of knowledge about myself, and again, learned a lot from a huge mistake. If I hadn’t had the time to learn all this, I wouldn’t have ever opened my heart to The Lummox. He has taught me so much about trusting, even more about patience, and mostly about the potential we have when we open ourselves up to what is meant to be.

I am so thankful to be standing here today, with my family and friends surrounding me still, after all that we have been through. I have more love in my life now than I ever imagined having in a lifetime. And for that, I am thankful.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home