Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Clean reading

May 02
Clean reading

This happened to me in the grocery store yesterday:
Me- standing in book isle reading the back of a Dean Koontz novel as an older woman in her 80’s walks up behind me.
Her: “Ohhh that is such a great book! You should definitely read it.”
Me: “really? That is great, I love Dean Koontz”
Her: “she is such a great writer you know, I’ve read nearly all her novels.”
Me: thinking to myself, hmmm isn’t Dean Koontz a he and not a she?
Her: rambling on and on about the book she thinks I’m holding
Me: “wow that sounds like an interesting book”
Her: “...and then the grandmother and her granddaughter join the same knitting circle and share their yarn and it is just so heartwarming...”
Me: turning over the murder and suspense thriller in my hand to make sure I’m not crazy
Her: “...and then the grandmother dies at the end and the granddaughter is so wrecked that she never revealed her true feelings...”
Me: discovering she is not talking about the book in my hand, but the book next to it on display
as the woman walks away I say “well thank you, Ill definitely take a look at it” even though she just ruined the end.
Her: walking away from me “...that is if you like clean stories”
Me: astonished. Did she really just say that to me?
I sat there laughing to myself because I started to think, what does she think, I am some pervert in the grocery store book isle looking for some naughty books? I looked up and met eyes with a man standing across from me laughing to himself too, so I didn’t feel so bad.
Me: furrowing my brow at him, “gosh, what does she think I was looking for anyway?” Him: looking across the display, over my shoulder and then suddenly pretended to chase after the old woman as he said “hey, you think she has some suggestions for dirty stories?”
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•. jenni

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home