Sunday, August 21, 2005

Time Machine

Time Machine…August 21, 2005

Something strange happened last night. It was around 1am, I was still up with mom watching tv and I heard her downstairs yelling up at me that my phone was ringing. She said "Jenni, your phone's buzzing" (its set on vibrate) "who would call you this late?" I immediately thought it was Dave, since he gets off work so late and maybe he thought I'd be up, and then my second thought was maybe it was Bill since I had just talked him through a dillemma earlier in the day...but I never imagined who it actually was! It was Sean. He was my boyfriend through high school and college, until I broke it off with him after 7 years because I wanted to date other people. I occasionally get an email from him, just catching up on what is new in his life, and I reply back. I guess you could say we have re-kindled a friendship. He recently got a camera phone, so I sent my phone number in an email one day so he could send me the pictures of his brothers wedding. So he has my number, but I never thought hed use it. I saw the LCD display 1 MISSED CALL and I clicked on view and heard myself say outloud "mom, Sean Kelly is calling me..." she was as surprised as I was and we sat there looking at eachother like what do we do now? Then the phone buzzed again and I saw 1 NEW VOICE MAIL blinking at me. I laughed like an evil school girl and clicked listen, I thought this ought to be good, I wondered if he was drunk-calling me. Mom and I put our ears to the receiver listening for an old familiar voice but what we got was something just wierd. It sounded like something not of this world, like a loud buzzing of sorts. We looked at eachother again with furrowed brows, what the heck was that? We listened again two more times and couldnt make it out. I decided he may have accidentally called me, it happens sometimes to me if I leave my phone open. I sent him a text message just in case, "WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT?" and mom adn I laughed and went off to our beds. Half an hour later I get "SORRY BOUT THAT, THAT WAS STEVIE B, SHOULDNT HAVE DONE THAT" okay, he is at a Stevie B concert and wanted to share a song with me or something. No big deal. He has sent me picture messages before with sound from aconcert a few weeks ago...but then I started to think. I wonder what song that was...a little backstory: Sean and I loved Stevie B in high school, he had some great love songs back then, and we thought of a couple of them as "our songs". In fact!!! I just remembered this, the night we lost our virginities to eachother, we were playing Stevie B! Ok, so now this is making a little more sense. Okay, no biggie. I sent him a reply that said "NO PROB, I COULDNT HEAR IT ANYWAY. WHAT SONG WAS THAT?" I got back "I TOTALY GOT CAUGHT UP IN OLD MEMORIES, THAT WAS NOT COOL!" I figured he was drunk.

This morning I got another text from him "I AM SO SORRY ABOUT THAT LAST NIGHT! I DRANK WAY TOO MUCH! WE HAD SO MUCH FUN THOUGH! DONT WORRY ABOUT WHAT SONG IT WAS, I WAS JUST STUPID DRUNK!" Too funny!

Its not a big deal to me, it was something we shared a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away. And that is one of the main reasons I love music the way I do. I can hear a song and it brings me right back to where I was when I first heard it. Sean was probably just in the moment and thought of me because of his memories. I downloaded a bunch of Stevie B songs this morning, and man did it bring me back to high school memories!! I remember listening to the radio late at night, when I should have been asleep on a school night and hearing those songs just oblivious to the real world. Caught up in my own little bubble of a world where I existed only with my friends and my boyfriend with no worries at all. I remember taping some of these songs and writing down the lyrics to pass in a note to Sean in school. I remember being so caught up in what I thought was love at that moment that nothing else existed. Boy did I have a lot to learn! And here I am, 14 years later listening to music and saying "oh I remember that song!". Wow, its amazing how fast things can change, and how fast time has passed us by. Its funny to talk to him now, we have both changed so much, but we still have those tiny little things that make us the same as we once were. Its hard to believe how much I have changed since then. I think a little bit of me is still the same as I was back then. Music is like a time machine sometimes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home