Friday, February 10, 2006

Bad boys, bad boys...

Bad boys, bad boys...

Last night I got my very own personal Cops episode! Yay!
I live in the ghetto...okay I’m exaggerating a little. But to be as politically correct as I can, I will say the neighborhood I live in is probably not the safest for a single white girl to be. And I will start out by saying my neighbors are good and nice people. That’s why I still feel a little guilty about calling the cops on one of them last night.

I got into bed at ten-ish and noticed some voices coming from the sidewalk outside. Now, normally I would have just put in earplugs and gone to sleep, but the voices were not just talking in a normal tone. They were yelling. I am not a confrontational person by nature, so it takes a lot for me to go and tell someone to keep it down. Cody was even bothered they were talking so loud. So I took Cody with me and we went into the back yard adjacent to the sidewalk and I yelled to them “Excuse me? Excuse me...can you please keep it down?” I am in my pajamas and it is raining mind you, but I felt safe behind the 6 foot fence. They were still yelling, they just weren’t hearing me. So I moved closer to the fence and yelled again, but this time I made sure it was loud. “Hey!!! Can you guys be quiet? I’m trying to sleep!!!” I could see one of them, through the fence and he seemed agitated, but the voices still did not stop! Maybe since they were talking over me, they just didn’t hear me or care to hear me. So I decided to go back into the house and confront them face to face at my front door. Now I’m fuming. I forget that I’m just in my pajamas, and I flip on the porch light and step out onto my front porch with my arms crossed in my best mad woman position.

“Hey!!!” I yelled again...this time louder than I think I’ve heard myself before....
Now, in my mind there are three guys out on the sidewalk talking. What I found was frightening. The voices were coming from the mouth of ONE very large, very strung out man with no shirt and no shoes out in the cold rain. He was moving back and forth from my front lawn to the sidewalk speaking in tongues. His body seemed to move in ways not natural to the human body, contorting, and twitching faster than it took my brain to realize he was probably on drugs.

When he finally heard me after the third or fourth scream from me, he stood upright suddenly from his bizarre crooked posture and looked right at me in silence. His eyes were pitch black, and glassy, the stare sent chills through my soul.
“Praise Jesus....” he sighed in one huge breath, and placed the palms of his hands together.

It was then I decided it was probably not a good idea to be outside in my pajamas with this man. I wasn’t there to save him, and I sure as heck did not want him thinking I was going to. As I finished locking all the bolts on my front door I could hear him continue his mad ranting and strange tweaking dance in my front yard. I decided I needed to call the police.

Now girls- listen to me- find out the number to your local sheriffs dispatch, or the local non- emergency line and write it somewhere you can find it when you need it. I wasn’t in my calm, collected mind and I could not for the life of me find that number last night! I got on the phone immediately to my safe place- My Lummox. Thank god for him, I think I might have gone crazy if it weren’t for his composure, he looked up the number on the internet. Why I couldn’t think of that instead of sifting through the yellow pages is beyond me, but I was a little bit freaked out.
I got the number and called, explaining there was a crazy person on my front lawn and to send a car by immediately. I went and sat on my stairs and watched out the front window while I called Lummox back. He kept me calm while I watched mister peculiar get into a car that had been parked nearby. It was raining out and the man, who apparently had the keys to the car, got in and opened the sunroof and rolled down all the windows. I could see his hands jump out of the sunroof waving every so often, and could see that he was still jerking and twitching around as he sat in the car.

Finally about ten minutes later a police car drove by shining a bright light around the area, and then another police car came in. Good. Still on the phone with Lummox, I went upstairs to get a sweatshirt incase the cops wanted me to come out or talk to me. From my bedroom window I could see the whole thing, and decided to stay there to watch. The man was still in his car, with the seat leaned all the way back and appeared to be passed out or sleeping. Three police officers were around the car, shining their flashlights in on him and yelling for him to tell them his name. He did not respond, and was finally motionless for a few seconds.

Suddenly he bolted upright and the police officers jumped back and guns were drawn as the man continued his contortions in the car for them. At the second he jolted awake his hands went up and out of the sunroof again, and something was thrown from the car. They got him calmed down and began searching his car. They found a gun under the passenger side seat that was placed on the roof of the car by one of the officers, and some drug paraphernalia. He was cuffed and arrested while the officers talked to some of my neighbors, and searched the lawn for what he had thrown. And still on the phone with Lummox, I’m describing the whole scene. The police asked my neighbors to move the car off the street, so they must have known him. The whole thing from start to finish happened so quickly, probably about 45 minutes. I was happy the police responded so quickly and efficiently. That makes me feel a little safer.

Lummox was so great, and kept me calm through the whole thing and afterwards for a while so I could calm my nerves. He made me feel so much better. I love him.
For the rest of the night, instead of having to listen to a crazy man’s angry outbursts- it was traded for the sound of an engine that just would not turn over. I finally put earplugs in at 1:30am and went to sleep. The man’s car was gone this morning so they must have gotten the engine fixed sometime in the night. I’m not sure what noise was more annoying, but I finally felt safe.
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•. jenni

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home