Tuesday, August 29, 2006

It could be worse...

8/29/2006
It could be worse...

I broke a new personal record for time spent at a job.
It took me exactly 4 hours to quit.

That place was a veritable shit storm of disorganization and craziness. I made an agreement with them to come in on Monday for training half day because I still have to finish up things at my old job, to help close up shop. By the second hour of training I was ready to leave. My instincts were telling me “RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY FAST!!!”

The girl I was supposed to take over for, had already cleared out her belongings from the office, and there were stacks of papers all over the place. Nothing was organized and even she couldn’t find things when frantic co-workers asked. Her computer wasn’t even on her desk because there wasn’t room for it. It was across the room on a table that she couldn’t sit at, so when she needed it she stood over it. WTF? Her desk was used mainly for a pile of paperwork that continually grew during the time I was there, from co-workers coming in and out adding to the stack. There was no organization I could tell because that was the way her brain worked. Some people just thrive on it I guess. She was trying to train me but she would get stuck on another thought, you should see my notes...one full page of training with little arrows going back and forth following her train of thought. It was insane! I was supposed to pick up where she left off, but where was it- Under the pile of unspecified paperwork somewhere on her desk?

I asked her for a price list per vendor, and she told me “Oh well I have that all in my head”. Um okay...will you please leave your brain when you go because I’ll need to access that information sometime soon I am sure? I asked her for a list of contacts and she pulled out her cell phone and started writing on the back of one of the pieces of paper she had just received!!! No wonder she can’t find anything, she is using invoices as note paper and her own personal cell phone for vendor contacts! What the heck was I supposed to do when she left on Thursday with no price list and no contacts?

She was on speed too I think. She didn’t stop moving the whole time was there, and she couldn’t keep one thought for more than a few seconds. At one point she got on the phone so I decided to walk around to meet some people and get out of her orbit. I came across an office in the back of the building with a poor girl at a desk piled with random paper stacks, and I said hello. She looked up from her chaos at me with sad eyes and said hello back. We chatted for a minute and I found out that she had been working there for only a week and it was utter pandemonium there. She then said “I have no idea what I am doing” That is when I decided I should probably high-tail it out of there. I felt bad leaving here there. When I left I thought, I should have grabbed her by the arm and taken her with me! I called them later and respectfully resigned.

So, I’m back at my old job working through Thursday to help close things up around here. You wouldn’t believe the bad luck this place has had. I’ve only been working here for two years and in that time the company has gone under due to multiple thefts. When I first started here, there had been a break in to the front offices and all the computer equipment in 6 offices was stolen. Just recently we discovered a theft ring working internally in our warehouses. It had been going on for quite a while under our noses apparently, but we lost over a million dollars in product. Just this weekend, after everyone was notified of layoffs, the warehouse was broken into again- Twice! A man who owns land behind our warehouse saw it happening in the middle of the night and called the police as he drove to where it was happening. The thieves caught him, accosted him, took his cell phone and ran over him with the truck they were using. I haven’t heard anything more- but I think the man is alright, just a little bruised. Can you believe that?

As I write this, the bills the company hasn’t been able to pay are catching up with us and our internet and email was just shut off. Hopefully there will be electricity tomorrow so I can finish up!

I guess it could always be worse. I spent yesterday in an anxious, emotional fog. I think it finally hit me that I was officially unemployed. I knew I would freak out, just wasn’t sure when. My freak out day was yesterday, and boy am I glad I got it out of my system. I went to bed early last night after a fantastic conversation with Rugby Dude (who is in Torino, Italy now) and he cheered me up instantly. He is great at making everything better. I love talking to him; it is like a breath of fresh air. I miss him. He’s my number one fan.

I woke up this morning renewed, and ready to face the world. After all, it could be worse; I could have been accosted by thieves who took my cell phone and ran over me with a truck! I’m glad I wasn’t that guy! Oh and I did apply for unemployment, what could it hurt? It’s there to help me, so I figured what the heck.
Back to the drawing board. Wish me luck!

-Jenni

oh and pee ess...Thermostat at home is now set at 80 ...needless to say- I carry a fan around with me all day but it will save me money in the long run!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home